Adapting to the New Normal – Tips on Family Life and Parenting
With full-time resocialization starting soon – kids at school and parents at work – it is normal for mixed emotions to spring up, and with that a new set of challenges. Data reveals evidence of the “motherhood penalty” at an all-time high during the pandemic. The new situation is going to be difficult to navigate as it is – and you need to ensure that your home is a safe space to return to, which won’t be easy if you’re doing everything alone.
Division of Responsibilities
Unwillingness to discuss resentment-building issues that cause rifts within the home most of the time, with mothers on overdrive mode and always inches away from burnouts. As such, be sure to sort out the division of responsibilities before the “new normal” commences.
Sitting down to discuss how responsibilities around the house will be shared can help couples prevent conflict. Here are some pointers to keep in mind when having this discussion:
- Honesty – There’s no room for appeasement in a situation that burns you out quickly. Be open to sharing preferences, ideas, and suggestions.
- Specifics – There’s no room for vagueness. Be sure to mark clear-cut responsibilities for each parent.
- Equal Division – Having that 50/50 goal won’t work for every couple and it’s best not to get hung up on it. As long as one parent’s tasks are being significantly reduced, you’re doing the shared responsibilities thing right.
- Flexibility – If you’re rigid with your partner’s tasks, things might go south quickly. Let them work at their own pace, as long as the tasks are being completed before it’s too late.
- Stick to It – There’s no point in having a discussion if one or both of you will end up forgetting the next day. Remember to see it through for maximum success.
As for the Little Ones
Dividing responsibilities isn’t just for you and your partner. If your kids are old enough, they should help around the house with some chores. Now, most tweens and teens aren’t the fondest of having responsibilities bestowed upon them and will often behave rashly during the delegation of tasks. Here are a couple of pointers to stick to as a parent:
- Inappropriate language and insults – If your kid calls you a name when you ask to get a chore done, do not respond to it, even when the urge to ask “what did you just say to me?” is at an all-time high. Repeat the request and end the conversation there.
- Compliance – Kids will try to cleverly subvert the rules by requesting five extra minutes repeatedly but, you have to put your foot down. Do not yield to these requests and don’t backpedal.
- Emotional outbursts – If your kid is yelling, do not engage. Instead, simply walk away and ask them to find you when they have their emotions under control.
Wrapping It Up
Even after a year of facing what was perhaps one of the biggest contemporary disasters, the world and its citizens are still in recovery mode. In a life that almost always felt steady, the pandemic broke out uncharted territory that families struggled to navigate through. If you and your family are going through a similar time of incertitude, know that you’re not alone.
More in Family
Is Social Media Responsible for your Declining Funds?
Do you have friends who keep documenting their day-to-day activities on social media? Sure, you do. But have you ever imagined...July 16, 2021
Women Are More Likely Than Men to Develop Alzheimer’s – Here’s How to Combat the Disease
Did you know that about 75% of patients diagnosed with brain disorders are women? And 1 in 5 are diagnosed before...July 16, 2021
Do Yourself a Favor and Provide Your Body With The Nutrition It’s Asking For
In today’s world of thinning waistlines and growing Insta picture feeds, it’s easy to ignore that growling stomach to get a...July 14, 2021
Mariah Carey Has Found a New Quarantine Hobby That Has Even Surprised Buddy Valastro
We all know that Mariah Carey is the queen of vocals, but with the social distancing rules, she has also transformed into somewhat of a...June 10, 2021
What Other Food Startups Can Learn from the Rise of Beyond Meat
For the uninformed, Beyond Meat is the pioneer of plant-based burgers to be sold in grocery stores and the company has...May 18, 2021
5 Differences Between Cheap and Expensive Airbnbs That Could Change the Way You Travel
Gone are the days when you have to find a hotel during your vacation. Now, you can look for an Airbnb...April 28, 2021
A House Next to Kensington Palace was Robbed, You Won’t Believe Who Lives There!
We’ve heard some pretty scary stories about high profile burglaries, especially those involving billionaires who are often on criminals’ hitlist. We’re...April 20, 2021
Could This Unexpected Reason Behind Your Weight Loss Plateu?
Losing weight is by no means an easy task. Cutting back on calories, saying no to your favorite treats, and sweating...April 7, 2021
Do You Really Need 8 Hours of Sleep Every Night? The Truth is Actually Surprising
Sleep is arguably the biggest blessing in life, one that we just can’t get enough of. How many times do you...April 5, 2021